1. Any kind of person most likely aged under...oh 35, who participate in some kind of youth subcultural urban clique; from punk, to indie rocker, goth, straight edge, metalhead, hip-hop, etc. They are fairly likely to know a great deal about their own world and very little about anyone else's.
2. A grand tradition of respected pop-cultural icons, from Oscar Wilde to Charles Bukowski to Andy Warhol to the Vice Magazine founders, who despite their influence, really kind of suck.
3. Throngs upon throngs of urban centric teengers and twenty-somethings who congregate in the "hip" neighborhoods of a town and all dress disturbing alike. They try to one step ahead of trends in clothes and music, seeking out vintage fashion and independant bands. Their shortcomings include:
a) most-likely an upper/middle class upbringing
b) general snobbery (or social-ineptitude mistaken for it) towards not only those not "with it" but also an unfamiliar hipster
c) a disposition of only liking things not totally excepted by the mainstream
and e) bad haircuts.
Their exceptional qualities:
a) despite what some detractors might assume, they are one of the more racially inclusive scenes in an urban setting
b) they aren't too picky about beer
c) if you need one of them to give an opinion when shopping for clothes or records, they will be invaluable...provided they don't scoff at you first
and d) that band you love never would have gotten anywhere if the hipsters weren't into them first.
1. "Walking down Broadway in Seattle, you sure do see a lot of young hipsters tooling about."
2. "In Kerouac's 'On the Road', he paints a decent portrait of how the hipster lifestyle of the 1940's run aground with the American Dream."
3. "Ugh...there are too many hipsters at that party. Let's not go. All those girls are terrible in bed."
Prices shown in USD.
Napište svoji e-mailovou adresu, abyste dostali naše Slovo dne zdarma každé ráno!
E-maily jsou odesílány z adresy firstname.lastname@example.org. Nikdy vám nebudeme posílat spam.